[rfc-i] Units

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jan 28 14:37:16 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:05:28AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Definitely not a troll. I would like to see one line in the
> style guide: SI units are preferred. Really, for the vast majority
> of humans acres, gallons, pounds and miles are meaningless.

Excellent.  So, then, you want to follow ISO 8000, and also insist
that people write Mbit and so on?  And what do we do when there's a
meaningful difference between bytes and octets in a given platform
(important for C snippets), given that SI has standardized "byte" to
mean "8 bits"?

Clearly, what the IETF needs are more rules and procedures.  Heaven
knows we don't have enough hide binding us yet.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com