[rfc-i] v3imp #4 Ruby text

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Wed Jan 28 08:44:19 PST 2015

On 1/23/2015 8:39 AM, Tony Hansen wrote:
> to the design team:
>
> On 1/23/15 4:04 AM, Sean Leonard wrote:
>> Improvement Need
>> #4 Ruby text
>>
>> This improvement calls for support for ruby text, also known as
>> interlinear annotation. If you are not familiar, check out
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character>.

>> supporting the raw Unicode code points {U+FFF9 U+FFFA U+FFFB}.
>>
>> Personally I think the Unicode code points are sufficient for the
>> canonical format; a formatter can convert these codes into
>> appropriate markup (e.g., HTML5 <ruby>). However as our own Martin J.
>> Dürst is the co-author of UTR-20
>> <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr20/#Interlinear>, the markup
>> position may win out.
>>
>> My biggest concern is that introducing <ruby> markup into the v3
>> format may significantly complicate canonical processing, since
>> interlinear annotation is applicable to structured text fields (e.g.,
>> author names, document title, references), not just unstructured
>> spec-text. HTML5 really goes quite overboard with the ruby elements;
>> I believe it is unreasonable to require support for that level of
>> complexity from all xml2rfc-related tools. Furthermore, putting ruby
>> into artwork *should* be allowed—this requires no additional work for
>> the v3 vocabulary since the Unicode code points are already allocated.
>
> Since V3 is Unicode-based, and Unicode is allowed in all the places
> Sean seems to be concerned about, I think this is covered.

+1000. That is my point.

> This only thing I'm not sure about is the use of ruby in artwork --
> would that just be ruby annotations on words found within the artwork,
> or is Sean thinking it would be used in another fashion? If the
> former, I think it's okay.
It's the former.

> The only real question I have is whether there needs to be an explicit
> statement about ruby being supported or not.

Since V3 is Unicode-based, all reasonable Unicode characters should be
acceptable in all contexts, subject to the editorial process.

This statement and the request for ruby/interlinear annotation are
consistent with draft-flanagan-nonascii-03. In a follow-up e-mail I will
cite the requested specific examples.

Sean