[rfc-i] v3imp #6 Byte preservation for figs

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Sun Jan 25 22:44:50 PST 2015

On 1/25/15, 10:06 PM, "Sean Leonard" <dev+ietf at seantek.com> wrote:

>It could go either way. I think it makes more sense to make attachments
>be companions to the document, and therefore, attached to the entire
>document, such as in an <attachments> optional block towards the end of
>the <rfc>. However in my proposals prior to this e-mail, I also
>envisioned that they could be attached to the object in which they are
>defined, namely as a drop-in replacement for <figure> or <artwork>.
>(PDFs present attachments in the former manner; Word/Office documents
>present attachments in the latter manner; e-mail clients do both.)

PDF actually supports three different types of attachments - the document
level, the page level, and the object level.  Most PDF viewers simply give
the user a single presentation of all of these merged together to ease
their location/extraction by the user, but “under the hood” you have more
flexibility on terms of actual attachment models.

But I think the point here, which I agree with, is that it may well be up
to the tool that generates the output to decide which model(s) works best
and simply use that.

Leonard