[rfc-i] v3imp #8 Fragment tagging on sourcecode

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Jan 25 00:54:40 PST 2015

On 2015-01-24 17:21, Sean Leonard wrote:
> -⅓
>
> Like Paul I am ambivalent.
>
> First of all there is no such thing as "ABNF modules" yet--only ABNF
> grammar (combined with specification text). I recognize this
> conversation is trending to creating them.
>
> To use Julian's language, are there "concrete examples" of a discrete
> RFC containing "independent ABNF modules"? Unless you have a different
> definition, I am going with "independent ABNF modules" means ABNF
> definitions that are mutually conflicting, so that implementation of one
> necessarily precludes implementation of the other.

What I meant is something else.

RFC 7230, for instance has an ABNF that describes the message format. In
addition, it has multiple tiny ABNFs that describe header field *value*
syntax. The latter are not referenced anywhere, so they constitute
independent modules, although they re-use parts from other definitions.

Best regards, Julian