[rfc-i] Can the web be archived?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Jan 24 10:21:33 PST 2015

In article <54BDEA76.5070309 at cisco.com> you write:
>The New Yorker reports[1] about how links go stale on the web, and how
>this is impacting journals and the like.

The article also mentions a web site perma.cc, which is a long term
archiving service that says it's already used by a slew of law
journals.

If this is a problem we need to solve, perhaps someone could see how
well they solve it for us.  The web site says anyone can enter a URL
which will be archived for two years, and they'll generate a perma.cc
redirect for it.  Journal editors can check that links are what a
reference in an article says they are, and "vest" them to be archived
permanently, or at least as permanent as perma.cc is.

R's,
John