[rfc-i] v3imp #2 Control over paginated output

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Fri Jan 23 22:27:27 PST 2015

On 1/23/2015 3:25 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2015-01-23 10:02, Sean Leonard wrote:
>> Improvement Need
>> #2 Control over paginated output
>
> I still believe that this is an over-optimization for an edge case.
> That being said, the V3 draft already contains some of these hints, so
> if you want to help you really ought to review what's there, and if
> you believe that's insufficient give a concrete example.
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
> PS: And yes, people won't look at the canonical XML. They *will* look
> at the HTML.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

V3 review:

@keepwithnext="true" ≈ page-break-after: avoid
@keepwithprevious="true" ≈ page-break-before: avoid

That is it.

I propose:
An attribute to control page breaking within the element should be added.

The attributes should be called either:
@pagebreakbefore, @pagebreakafter, @pagebreakinside
(which is consistent with CSS 2.1)

or:
@keepwithnext, @keepwithprevious, @keeptogether
(which is consistent with the current status quo)

The values of @pagebreakbefore and @pagebreakafter should be "auto" /
"always" / "avoid" / "left" / "right", with the same meanings as CSS 2.1
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html#page-breaks>, defaulting to
"auto". (Actually I don't really advocate for "left" / "right"--just
including for completeness. Feel free to say it's not appropriate.)

The values of @pagebreakinside should be "auto" / "avoid", with the same
meanings as CSS 2.1, defaulting to "auto".

Attributes called @orphans and @widows should be added. The value is an
integer. The default value is 2.

In addition to <t>, the aforementioned attributes should be allowed on:
<section>
<figure>

Finally, while it goes without saying (does it?), adding such attributes
to the title of a section is awkward since it would require annotating
the deprecated @title, or allowing such attributes on <name>.
Nevertheless it is appropriate to RECOMMEND that XML -> (X)HTML
converters put the section title in an element that has the CSS styles
"page-break-inside: avoid; page-break-after: avoid" applied. I do not
believe that there are good reasons to waver from these stylistic
choices for section headings.

Concrete examples? Many have been mentioned on this list.
draft-josefsson-pkix-textual is full of such examples, where I had to
edit the HTML output manually to get the PDF version not to look so ugly.

See in particular Tony Hansen's comment in
<mid:5483B590.7020609 at att.com>