[rfc-i] v3imp #8 Fragment tagging on sourcecode

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jan 23 15:04:47 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:39:26AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> By "work", I think of "is the solution understandable to a typical
> Internet Draft author", and here things fall apart. It is possible to
> mark artwork as a fragment; it may not be possible to sanely say what
> it is a fragment of. Many RFCs have multiple ABNF modules or ASN.1
> modules, so there would have to be some way to say "this is a fragment
> of that module" *and* say "and the whole goes in this particular
> order".

I'd be happy with a mechanism that collates multiple figures into a
synthetic appendix and which can extract the same.  I'd prefer the
reverse for authoring, but beggars can't be choosers.

A mechanism that collates artwork wouldn't be difficult to implement in
XSLT...  Just provide an attribute for naming the file/module/appendix/
whatever, and an optional attribute for specifying collation order; the
XSLT to collate that almost writes itself.

Nico