[rfc-i] v3imp #6 Byte preservation for figs

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Fri Jan 23 12:18:05 PST 2015

On 1/23/2015 3:34 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2015-01-23 10:06, Sean Leonard wrote:
>> Improvement Need
>> #6 Byte preservation for figs
>>
>> This improvement calls for making principled distinctions between
>> octet-oriented (byte-oriented) data and character-oriented data, and
>> preserving the data accordingly.
>
> So is it what you're asking for a convention to represent arbitrary
> octet sequences in the document, where (a) they will be displayed in a
> somewhat readable manner and (b) can be reconstructed from the source
> file?

Somewhat. What I posted under #5 captures the essence...I am asking for
a convention to operatively associate "arbitrary octet sequences with
metadata" with the document, where they will be displayed in a
presentable manner, and where the octets are preserved throughout the
publication process.

The term "attachment" captures what I am looking for reasonably well.

Sean