[rfc-i] Can the web be archived?

Henning G Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 23 11:27:02 PST 2015

There are likely two categories for archival material:

* material (e.g., presentation slides or technical reports) that is likely
to disappear, but where the author or institution either grants broad
Creative Commons or similar rights, possibly for this purpose. (For
example, this is true for many university technical reports. Authors of a
blog post may well agree to a one-off CC license for IETF purposes, etc.)

* proprietary material with restricted distribution. This could be kept, as
others have suggested, in a separate archive, with restricted access (but
the same naming scheme). At some point, there may well be "orphan"
copyright laws that will facilitate access should the original no longer be
available.

It should be the responsibility of the RFC authors to obtain the material
and decide whether they fall into bucket 1 or 2. As stated before, my take
is that for most standards-track RFCs, the number of such references is
very small or non-existent, but it's an important corner case.

Henning