[rfc-i] v3imp #8 Fragment tagging on sourcecode

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Jan 23 10:39:26 PST 2015

On Jan 23, 2015, at 10:09 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Different strokes for different folks.

That's the problem. Sean is asking for a one-size-fits-all approach, without suggesting actual examples of a proposed solution.

> This *can* work.

By "work", I think of "is the solution understandable to a typical Internet Draft author", and here things fall apart. It is possible to mark artwork as a fragment; it may not be possible to sanely say what it is a fragment of. Many RFCs have multiple ABNF modules or ASN.1 modules, so there would have to be some way to say "this is a fragment of that module" *and* say "and the whole goes in this particular order".

> It would work much better if you could automatically extract the collection of fragments when you want to process it.

Fully agree. If we can come up with a way to help that automation while not confusing document authors, this seems worthwhile. However, complexity seems to be a negative here.

--Paul Hoffman