[rfc-i] v3imp #4 Ruby text

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Fri Jan 23 01:04:13 PST 2015

Improvement Need
#4 Ruby text

This improvement calls for support for ruby text, also known as
interlinear annotation. If you are not familiar, check out
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_character>.

supporting the raw Unicode code points {U+FFF9 U+FFFA U+FFFB}.

Personally I think the Unicode code points are sufficient for the
canonical format; a formatter can convert these codes into appropriate
markup (e.g., HTML5 <ruby>). However as our own Martin J. Dürst is the
co-author of UTR-20 <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr20/#Interlinear>,
the markup position may win out.

My biggest concern is that introducing <ruby> markup into the v3 format
may significantly complicate canonical processing, since interlinear
annotation is applicable to structured text fields (e.g., author names,
document title, references), not just unstructured spec-text. HTML5
really goes quite overboard with the ruby elements; I believe it is
unreasonable to require support for that level of complexity from all
xml2rfc-related tools. Furthermore, putting ruby into artwork *should*
be allowed—this requires no additional work for the v3 vocabulary since
the Unicode code points are already allocated.

Sean