[rfc-i] Can the web be archived?

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Wed Jan 21 09:57:13 PST 2015

Ole Jacobsen <olejacobsen at me.com> wrote:
    > Speaking from very recent experience: I just published an article
    > which in the reference section had entries of the form:

    > "The ZigBee protocol specs can be found at http://...."

    > That all turned out to be wrong, the website had been reorganized and
    > I had to dig around to find the new links.

And it doesn't help, that even if you had the correct link, people would have
reached a page asking them to "login" (optionally... ) to get the document.
And you can't even refer to the correct version of the document.

I guess this is an RFC-EDITOR problem because we reference things.
I'd love it if we could have an rfc-editor.org/ short-URL redirector that
we would use to insert a second URL in (maybe into the XML only?) that
leads to our cached copy.  Or to the Internet Archive's cached copy.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-