[rfc-i] Can the web be archived?

Henning G Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 21 04:53:34 PST 2015

A roughly similar problem is faced by some regulatory entities. A simple
remedy is to submit critical, but possibly evanescent, resources "into the
record", i.e., they are hosted at the regulatory entity itself, in what we
would recognize as "fate sharing". This only works for material with
permissive copyright (CC and similar), but I suspect this can be worked
around in many cases. I wouldn't worry about this for citations to material
published by major engineering/science societies (ACM, IEEE). Even if one
were to go under, it seems likely that somebody else would pick up the
content and maintain the DOIs.

Thus, the RFC editor could host such content locally, possibly as PDF/A
files, and created a reasonable URL scheme (maybe a DOI).

Henning