[rfc-i] Can the web be archived?

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Wed Jan 21 00:58:04 PST 2015

Hi Heather,

On 1/21/15 2:41 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:

> Indeed.  This problem is extremely frustrating to STEM (scientfic,
> technical, engineering, and medical) publishers, too.  Different
> models try to "fix" it, but all models I'm aware of require a
> publisher to Do Something, where something means registering their
> documents with a service or trying to archive a copy of everything
> they reference in their books/journals/articles.
>
> So far this hasn't proven to be a tractable problem, particularly not
> when anyone and everyone can be a publisher on the web.

Perhaps the relevance here is that there be sufficient identifying
bibliographic information to provide readers the opportunity to search
for (and hopefully find) the underlying reference.  What standards
should we hold to for allowing URIs?  Should an author be required?  How
about a date?  Web Site name?  Any additional meta-information?  Also,
we assuredly need different standards for normative and informative
references, right?

Eliot