[rfc-i] xi:includes in references

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 08:55:01 PST 2015

On 2015-01-20 17:49, Miek Gieben wrote:
> [ Quoting <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> in "Re: [rfc-i] xi:includes in
> referenc..." ]
>> On Jan 20, 2015, at 5:02 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>> XInclude processors are allowed to put this in (and it makes a lot of
>>> sense to do so). If we want to validate post-Xinclude results, we'll
>>> either need a preprocessing step (filtering out the attribute), or
>>> allow it either "anywhere" or at least on those elements where it's
>>> likely to turn up.
>>
>> I would vote for a pre-processing step, unless there is a semantic
>> description of what xml:base "anywhere" means.
>
> So this mean I cannot use standard XML tools to process these files?

It depends on what you're asking for.

I'd assume that an xml2rfc processor will take the input using XIncludes
and do the right thing.

If you want to validate the input yourself without relying on that tool,
you'd need to process the XIncludes and strip the artifacts yourself
(the latter can be easily done in XSLT).

That being said: I'm currently not sure what the better approach is...

Best regards, Julian