[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Oct 31 23:17:11 PDT 2014

Romanization is a reasonable thing to want, especially since many of
us don't know what to make of other scripts (it may be unfair, but
it's nice that the Latin scripts are widely recognized and understood,
and have so few basic glyphs).

What I don't understand is why insist on ASCII for romanized names.
Do we really think that readers will have a hard time getting
non-ASCII Unicode Latin codepoints to display correctly?

Are there any OSes, mobile devices, ... where there's no nice,
obvious, convenient (off the shelf) way to read a .txt with UTF-8 in
it?

(Yes, I know, I may be embarrassing myself.  And perhaps there are
users who use real, honest to goodness VT-100s and ISO-8859-1 locales,
who can't switch to Unicode, even temporarily.  But, really?)

Nico