[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-02 composition tools

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Oct 31 16:32:01 PDT 2014

On 10/31/2014 4:16 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>> On 10/31/2014 3:00 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
>>> Joe Touch,
>>>
>>> We know your preferences.  But I don't know if you've tried these
>>> other options, and if you would just try some of them, you'd be adding
>>> something new, even if you still preferred Word in the end.
>>
>> I have, repeatedly. I find it time-travel to the stone ages every time I
>> try, and find it too easy to either corrupt the XML to the point where I
>> need to debug the "code" or impossible to reorganize document
>> substructure as subtrees.
>>
>> That includes both XML and LaTeX as authoring "programming languages".
>> When I write, I want to focus on content and structure, not programming
>> syntax.
>
> But did you try NroffEdit

Not WYSIWYG.

You have to edit source on the left, then click update. Just like the
TeX editor I use on rare occasion.

I haven't been inside the "compile/render" loop since 1986/Scribe days,
except for TeX (and I don't relish the nostalgia).

> Pandoc2rfc

I couldn't figure out how to use this except via:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gieben-pandoc2rfc-03

(I use Windows mostly, but also Mac; I can't figure out how to install
that except inside a Unix environment, e.g.:
http://miek.nl/posts/2013/Jun/16/vim-and-editing-pandoc2rfc/)

Which again expects me to edit source (markdown, in that case), and
again be inside the compile/render loop.

> or LyX w/ lyx2rfc?

The info here suggests the same sort of loop:
https://github.com/nicowilliams/lyx2rfc

--

Am I really the only person besides Stewart who thinks it's odd to have
to *ever* touch source for a document I'm writing? Or to be involved in

Joe