[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-02 composition tools

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Oct 31 15:08:47 PDT 2014

On 10/31/2014 3:00 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
> <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>> On 10/31/14 10:01 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
>>> Oh - that's *completely* reasonable.  I'm CC'ing the RSOC for us to
>>>  discuss this.  Assuming everyone else thinks it's a good idea, we
>>> can ask the IAOC to see if they can negotiate something.
>>
>> I would very much support doing this, though the identity management
>> person in me is entirely uncertain how we would accomplish such a
>> thing.  The IETF doesn't have members as such, so how would a vendor
>> be able to provide a limited license or discount to participants?
>
> Perhaps a "site" license for the IETF and then let the "officers" of
> the IETF (ADs, WG chairs, shepherds), decide who gets to use it, with
> some "only for I-Ds" caveat.  It's worth asking.  Worst-case we get a
> "no".
>
> Mind you, I'd like this, but I don't think it's necessary.  I've been
> using xml2rfc pretty much since it first appeared on the scene.  I'm
> happy with it, and clearly it works for us.  And there are a variety
> of composition tools options _now_ -- if that's the sticking point for
> anyone, then *please* try one of the tools listed.
>
> I'd love to see a round-up of comments about the composition tools
> that are available now.  Who doesn't like any of them, and why?
>
> Joe Touch,
>
> We know your preferences.  But I don't know if you've tried these
> other options, and if you would just try some of them, you'd be adding
> something new, even if you still preferred Word in the end.
>
> Nico

I have, repeatedly. I find it time-travel to the stone ages every time I
try, and find it too easy to either corrupt the XML to the point where I
need to debug the "code" or impossible to reorganize document
substructure as subtrees.

That includes both XML and LaTeX as authoring "programming languages".
When I write, I want to focus on content and structure, not programming
syntax.

Joe