[rfc-i] Imbedded XML in PDF/A3

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri Oct 31 12:33:43 PDT 2014

On 10/29/14, 8:44 PM, ""Martin J. Dürst"" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>On 2014/10/30 05:17, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
>
>> I'm working on doing this for HTML as well.  Since the XML might include
>> comments (particularly while it's an I-D), and I want to embed this
>>*in* a
>> comment, I was thinking about base64-encoding.  I see the usefulness of
>> the XML being more easily-discovered, however, so what about turning the
>> XML comment markers from "<!--" to "<!- -"?
>
>Yes.

I tried that, and luckily I had an example that included a long string of
dashes. The simple s/--/- -/g replacement on "----" produces "- -- -".

http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/syntax.html#comments says:

Comments... must not contain the string "--"

What about using "&#x2d;&#x2d;"?  I guess I could also apply s/--/- -/g
twice, but that's harder to reverse reliably.

--
Joe Hildebrand