[rfc-i] Provide a way to manage source files used in generating RFC XML

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Oct 31 09:58:42 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Riccardo Bernardini
<framefritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a brief 0.02$.   My experience in writing  shared documents (scientific
> paper and project proposals, mainly)  is that token-passing collaboration is
> the only approach that works. Even if you have something like Google docs
> where many authors edit the same document on-line at the same time, you end
> up with some kind of "informal token passing" by asking something like
> "Ehi, can you update section 3.2 with the new state of the art?"

This is my experience as well.

With modern version control and merging tools, any text-based format
that lends itself to easy merging with existing merge tools is a boon:
every contributor pushes their edits into their own branches and
someone merges them.  The markdown->xml approach may be the best for
this, but then again, most merge tools are awful at merging prose.

A 3-way XML diff tool would be a good thing to have.

Nico