[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-02 composition tools

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri Oct 31 09:07:54 PDT 2014

On 10/31/14, 3:41 PM, "Stewart Bryant (stbryant)" <stbryant at cisco.com>
wrote:

>Maybe they would be if we negotiated a group buy?

Are we talking about Word?  We'll need a more full-fledged proposal before
we talk to a sales person, I think.  What is the authoring experience
going to be like?  How is the submittal process going to work?  What will
be published?  How do we ensure that the documents are formatted
consistently?  How will we check the files for compliance with guidelines?
 How do we ensure that there isn't information the author didn't intend
hidden in the document?  How do we ensure that the files we use today
won't break in a couple of years when Microsoft changes formats again?
What will we do for people on platforms that Microsoft doesn't support?
Will their authoring experience be adequate with free tools?  How do we
produce adequate HTML at the end of the process?

There are likely other questions as well.

I'm actually being serious here.  If we can come up with a proposal that
is fully worked, it is theoretically possible that we could invalidate the
work of the last couple of years by numerous volunteers, but I don't
expect you can count on those same people to do the leg work.

--
Joe Hildebrand