[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Thu Oct 30 18:10:55 PDT 2014

On Oct 30, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> We are not, but readers are doing something close to that in their head when they glance over the text,

I think this degree of detailed analysis of the psychology and physiology of reading is too much.   If they want to see who authored the document, they will look.   If they can't read what's outside of the parentheses, they will read what's inside the parentheses.   This is fine.   The few milliseconds we would save them by doing as you recommend is not worth dissing every person who writes their own name in a non-roman script.

> and we don't know where downstreams somebody might remove the parentheticals.

We also don't care what people do downstream, at least on this point.   They could also transliterate the whole thing to Klingon glyphs: do we need to plan for that as well?