[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Oct 30 16:19:48 PDT 2014

On 2014/10/30 20:56, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2014, at 3:21 AM, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>> That would be okay for a text written in Chinese. But our texts are written in English.
>>
>> If something is in parentheses, it is supposed to be okay to be left out. So if we have
>>    The following people contributed significant text to early versions
>>    of this draft: Patrik Fältström (Patrik Faltstrom), 陈智昌 (William
>>    Chan), and Fred Baker.
>> it should be okay to change this to
>>    The following people contributed significant text to early versions
>>    of this draft: Patrik Fältström, 陈智昌, and Fred Baker.
>> But this is unfortunately now unreadable (except for people who can read Chinese).
>
> We are not proposing to do as you say and elide the parenthetical text.

We are not, but readers are doing something close to that in their head
when they glance over the text, and we don't know where downstreams
somebody might remove the parentheticals.

> That being the case, the only reason to put the english outside the parentheses is to make the assertion that the correct form of the person's name is the one written in english script.   Since that is not a correct assertion, we should not make it.

No, the reason to put the Latin script text outside the parentheses is
to help the reader. Because of this, there is no assertion about which
is the original or correct form of the person's name, and I'm pretty
sure reasonable readers won't make such assertions.

Regards,   Martin.