[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Oct 30 14:06:25 PDT 2014

On 10/30/14, 7:54 PM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 30/10/2014 17:10, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
>> On 10/30/14, 2:46 AM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I feel that *one* occurrence in a document of, say,
>>> Patrik Fältström (ASCII: Patrik Faltstrom) would be helpful,
>>> given that we plan to have a residual ASCII format
>>
>> What's the residual ASCII format?  draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-01
>>section
>> 7.3, for instance, says:
>>
>> "The plain-text format will be UTF-8 encoded; non-ASCII characters will
>>be
>> allowed."
>>
>> That seems pretty unambiguous.  Did I miss another output format being
>> added?
>
>Ah, you're right. But there still might be contexts (such as search)
>where a pure ASCII version is needed. I'm not sure of the best fix.

Yes, which is why there is an ASCII equivalent specified for the document
information at the top and the authors' addresses at the bottom.  All
other names are under the direct control of the author.  Particularly in
the acknowledgement section, it would be strange for the author to include
herself.  Therefore, I don't see an issue with repetition.  There *may* be
a problem with the example in the -03 draft.  If the acknowledgements used
different names, it wouldn't appear as if there was a problem.

--
Joe Hildebrand