[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-02 composition tools

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Oct 30 11:54:09 PDT 2014

On 10/30/2014 11:41 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2014, at 18:27, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/30/2014 7:19 AM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
>>> To be clear, the only way I would accept MS word as a reasonable
>>> approach was if there was no post editing process, i.e. you type into a
>>> template and ship what you get when you stop typing.
>>
>> The only way that can happen is if the IETF stops trying to engineer a
>> custom solution.
>
> The only way that can happen is if the IETF stops trying to engineer.
>
> FTFY.  (SCNR.)
>
> On a more serious note, it is interesting to see that we have two converters from markdown (and another one from a generic outliner format like Emacs’ org-mode), but none from MS-OOX (at least that I’m aware of).
> Since MS-OOX is documented in ISO/IEC 29500, it should be a small matter of programming to build this.  Add a little visual basic for the structured parts (author info and other front matter, references), and there you are.  Why hasn’t anybody done that?  Maybe that factoid is trying to tell us something, I’m not quite sure what.

I had plans to organize that sort of translator when the dust settled on
this new format, time/effort permitting. My fear is that the format has
gone off into esoterica-land in ways that might make it very difficult
to do that translation.

Overall, there's an awful lot of work going on here to create tools to
support post-publication automation that I continue to view as driving
the process but of otherwise very low value.

If the primary issue is search, modern OSes can search text in PDFs just
fine.

Joe