[rfc-i] Broken MUAs, was: Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Oct 30 11:41:26 PDT 2014

I asked Dave Thaler (from Microsoft) and Stewart Cheshire (from Apple)
about this a while ago, complaining that it was surely one of their doing.
 The answer was to go to System Preferences/Keyboard/Text, and uncheck
"Use smart quotes and dashes".  It hasn't been a problem for  me since.

On 10/30/14, 5:06 PM, "Leonard Rosenthol" <lrosenth at adobe.com> wrote:

>My Outlook (Mac) is configured to send both HTML and plain text as UTF-8.
>Would you recommend something else?
>
>On 10/30/14, 12:20 PM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke at greenbytes.de>
>wrote:
>
>>On 2014-10-30 16:06, Dale R. Worley wrote:
>>> While we're talking about document representation issues, I have this
>>> question:

>>> [archived at
>>>http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2014-October/008075.htm
>>>]

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> On my mail reader, the character between "Joe" and "s" is a
>>> superscript "1".  Looking at it more carefully, it is U+00B9, which is
>>> indeed a superscript "1" character
>>> (http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf).  My mail processor
>>> claims to have autoconverted it from quoted-printable to 8bit, so I
>>> don't completely trust what I see.
>>>
>>> But looking at the web archive version, the character displays as a
>>> superscript "1" there also, and examining the character displayed by
>>> the browser shows that it is U+00B6.
>>>
>>> Looking at the Unicode tables
>>> (http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf), it seems to me that the
>>> desired character is U+2019 "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK", which is
>>> annotated "this is the preferred character to use for apostrophe".
>>>
>>> This is not the only instance I've seen of this substitution.  Does
>>> anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?
>>

>>I believe it's a bug (or misconfiguration) in Outlook (on Mac).
>>
>>Best regards, Julian

Joe Hildebrand