[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03 (was: Re: Font selection for RFCs)

Dale R. Worley worley at ariadne.com
Thu Oct 30 08:10:55 PDT 2014

> From: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp>

> The only reason I have heard for this was that the document should still
> be searchable with ASCII-only. Search engines can deal with accents
> without problems, lo let's call this the 'grep on a plane' use case.
> What I propose is that for XML and HTML, we hide the ASCII somewhere
> where it's still searchable (e.g. in an attribute). For plain text,
> maybe we can create an Appendix that only contains ASCII texts so that
> they get caught with grep. Human beings can ignore it.

Does anyone other than the IETF produce standards documents whose
contents (1) are distributed in computer-readable form, and (2) are
expected to be searchable by programs that an individual will have on
their own computer (rather than delegating the searching to Google)?

A parallel question is "What will we put in rfc-index.txt?".

Dale