[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

Dale R. Worley worley at ariadne.com
Thu Oct 30 08:06:59 PDT 2014

While we're talking about document representation issues, I have this
question:

[archived at http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2014-October/008075.html]

> I can comment on two that I have authored standards for:
[...]
> Leonard
> P.S. I am NOT saying the IETF should follow suit, just answering Joe¹s
> question.

On my mail reader, the character between "Joe" and "s" is a
superscript "1".  Looking at it more carefully, it is U+00B9, which is
indeed a superscript "1" character
(http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf).  My mail processor
claims to have autoconverted it from quoted-printable to 8bit, so I
don't completely trust what I see.

But looking at the web archive version, the character displays as a
superscript "1" there also, and examining the character displayed by
the browser shows that it is U+00B6.

Looking at the Unicode tables
(http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf), it seems to me that the
desired character is U+2019 "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK", which is
annotated "this is the preferred character to use for apostrophe".

This is not the only instance I've seen of this substitution.  Does
anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?

Dale