[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Oct 29 21:10:43 PDT 2014

On 10/30/14, 2:46 AM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I feel that *one* occurrence in a document of, say,
>Patrik Fältström (ASCII: Patrik Faltstrom) would be helpful,
>given that we plan to have a residual ASCII format

What's the residual ASCII format?  draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-01 section
7.3, for instance, says:

"The plain-text format will be UTF-8 encoded; non-ASCII characters will be
allowed."

That seems pretty unambiguous.  Did I miss another output format being
added?

>but in
>the Unicode formats we will use the correct version.
>Patrik only has one name that is misspelt in ASCII.
>
>Repetition is certainly not needed.
>
>William Chan (陈智昌) is certainly a different case, since the
>document will primarily be in Latin characters and the
>CJK form acts as a gloss on his "Western" name. He really
>does have two different names. I believe 陈 is the family name
>and 智昌 is not pronounced "William".

I think the only way we could handle this without encoding a bunch of
heuristics that would be wrong more often than they were right would be to
add another attribute to the author attribute to express the author's
preference.  That seems like overkill, particularly since in the screen
shot that started this question, the acknowledgements section is
completely under the control of the author, rather than driven by tags.

--
Joe Hildebrand