[rfc-i] Imbedded XML in PDF/A3

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Oct 29 13:17:37 PDT 2014

On 10/28/14, 7:05 PM, "Robert Sparks" <rjsparks at nostrum.com> wrote:

>A comment both for the preservation draft and draft-hansen-rfc-use-of-pdf.
>
>When we embed the XML in the PDF, I suggest doing so without any
>additional
>encoding or compression. Make it such that you can get to the XML with
>cat, dd,
>or whatever filesystem recovery tool lets you extract a string of octets
>and shove them
>into something that will treat it as UTF-8. Visually finding the
>boundaries of the document
>if it's stored this way will not be difficult.

I'm working on doing this for HTML as well.  Since the XML might include
comments (particularly while it's an I-D), and I want to embed this *in* a
comment, I was thinking about base64-encoding.  I see the usefulness of
the XML being more easily-discovered, however, so what about turning the
XML comment markers from "<!--" to "<!- -"?  Most of the other hacks I've
thought of would require <-escaping the XML, which would be worse than
base64.

--
Joe Hildebrand