[rfc-i] EOL in draft-flanagan-plaintext-04

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Oct 29 13:07:40 PDT 2014

On 10/28/14, 7:44 PM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Well, since it was me who asked for the old EOL text to be kept,
>I would like to know why you think the inconsistent EOL problem has gone
>away. As far as I know, it's still alive and kicking when files are copied
>between any Unix-like system and Windows, and can be seen trivially by
>any user of NotePad on Windows when the file has LF alone to signal a
>new line.

Fine.  Then pick \r\n as the color of the bikeshed.  All of the tools on
my unix and mac systems work just fine with the redundant EOL approach.

Regardless, a couple of things make it so I don't care what we pick:

- Most people will read the HTML version, where the newlines are just
whitespace.
- Of those that read the text, some will use browsers, which (at least for
me) do the right thing even on windows
- Of those that don't use HTML or text in the browser, most of them will
be on Unix, and *all* of them will be able to do the conversion to their
line ending format of choice if needed.

--
Joe Hildebrand