[rfc-i] Comments on draft-flanagan-nonascii-03 (was: Re: Font selection for RFCs)

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Oct 29 12:01:50 PDT 2014

On Oct 29, 2014, at 3:19 AM, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> As a separate issue, I'd suggest that in the Acknowledgments example, instead of "陈智昌 (William Chan)", we use "William Chan (陈智昌)", because this way, the text flows better. This is also what the W3C or people such as Don Knuth use. Of course if somebody like William prefers "陈智昌 (William Chan)", we can allow that, but it shouldn't be what we suggest.

It seems more than a little bit disrespectful to use the correct spelling of a contributors name as the alternative.   Given that we don't use full names on the title page anyway, I think it would be fine to just present the name in its correct spelling and rely on people to look in the end matter (or even include a drift-over that shows what's in the end matter) rather than this.   But in the acknowledgments section it should definitely be 陈智昌 (William Chan), and not William Chan (陈智昌).