[rfc-i] Deprecated language tag codepoints (was: Re: Font selection for RFCs)

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Oct 28 15:59:00 PDT 2014

On 2014/10/29 05:43, Nico Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
> <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>> Then there is the issue of different languages having different font
>> preferences. The most widely known example is Chinese vs. Japanese. Although
>> the characters are the same, and legible either way, the fonts that the
>> Chinese are used to and the fonts that the Japanese are used to are quite
>> different. Showing a Japanese text with a standard Chinese font feels weird,
>> and the same the other way round. That's why XML and HTML have xml:lang/lang
>> attributes, and we should make sure they are usable. [...]
>
> I suspect this is also why Unicode used to have language tag codepoints.

Well, sort of. But the general understanding was always that language
information would belong to markup. These codepoints were only
introduced because some people working on ACAP came up with an even
weirder idea of how to encode language information, and a
counterproposal was needed. When it was clear that neither ACAP nor the
language tag codepoints were going anywhere, the language tag codepoints
were deprecated (see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6082).

Regards,   Martin.