Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Oct 27 13:53:06 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 09:00:17PM +0100, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2014, at 18:30, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> All my source files of course use Unicode (Universität, —, „, «, all that).
> >> Today, xml2rfc converts this to the necessary ASCII fallbacks for publication (Ari Keränen’s name being the only place where that didn’t work well, so far).
> >> With XML as a publication format, I’ll need a XML to XML processor to do that.
> >
> > No, you won't, as the new format will allow non-ASCII characters in contact information anyway.
>
> Actually, I do, because text is rarely ASCII*).
> (Also, human names do turn up in other places than contact information, but that’s secondary.)
>
> Grüße, Carsten
>
> *) See
> https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/core/draft-ietf-core-block-xx.xml
> for a random example.  This one doesn’t even have µW in it, a unit
> that happens to be of great importance in the field I’m working in.

+1.  But this is really a different thread, and IIUC the consensus is
set for now.  We'll experiment with author contact info and we'll extend
non-ascii support to other content later.

(IMO that's a bit overly conservative.  Who can't read Unicode nowadays,
at least for common scripts (and math symbols, and...) for which there
are widely-available fonts?  It'd be more interesting to find a subset
of Unicode that is extremely likely to be supported, then permit that
for all RFC content, leaving the remainder of Unicode for author names
and contact information.)

Nico