Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Mon Oct 27 13:00:17 PDT 2014

On 27 Oct 2014, at 18:30, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>> All my source files of course use Unicode (Universität, —, „, «, all that).
>> Today, xml2rfc converts this to the necessary ASCII fallbacks for publication (Ari Keränen’s name being the only place where that didn’t work well, so far).
>> With XML as a publication format, I’ll need a XML to XML processor to do that.
>
> No, you won't, as the new format will allow non-ASCII characters in contact information anyway.

Actually, I do, because text is rarely ASCII*).
(Also, human names do turn up in other places than contact information, but that’s secondary.)

Grüße, Carsten

*) See https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/core/draft-ietf-core-block-xx.xml for a random example.  This one doesn’t even have µW in it, a unit that happens to be of great importance in the field I’m working in.