Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Mon Oct 27 08:50:57 PDT 2014

On 10/27/14, 11:26 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> I think the only possible way to deal with that mistake is to stop caring
> about precisely where the pagebreaks are, short of "whatever the best
> thing we can automate easily".  I know that's counter-intuitive for a lot
> of folks, particularly those that have worked with the existing tooling
> for a long time, so I'm willing to listen to other ways of thinking about
> this.  Particularly, if anyone wants to chat in Honolulu, I'll make time.

Using Word as an analogy, I've found that 99.99% of all manual page
breaks can be avoided by judicious use there of "keep with next
paragraph" and "keep with previous paragraph". Once set, I don't have to
worry about when text is added and removed above the flagged text, or
when different page sizes are used. These flags work remarkably well.

Having said that, and moving back to xml2rfc v3, I am a proponent of
providing these options INSTEAD of a page break option.

In addition to that, I feel that section titles should automatically
have this flag set, as well as figure captions, table heads and table
captions. (There might be other places I'm not thinking of.)

I think this provides the ability to automate easily the major cases,
and work in a way that deals with different output formats reliably.

     Tony Hansen