Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Oct 27 08:26:43 PDT 2014

On 10/27/14, 2:31 PM, "Carsten Bormann" <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:

>On 27 Oct 2014, at 15:12, Dale R. Worley <worley at ariadne.com> wrote:
>>
>> Then we are, in effect, going to have to decide who we care about
>> pleasing and who we do not care about pleasing.
>
>Or, depending on the complexity of such a solution, we might simply do
>something that serves all constituencies.

I doubt that's possible.  As a first step, you'll need to answer Julian's
question about what a "page" means in the face of different paper sizes,
screen sizes/resolutions, font sizes, etc.

We've let pagination creep back in to the output formats we're going to
produce, which I continue to think is a technical mistake for good
political reasons.  I agree with Julian that once the HTML is being
produced consistently, linked to consistently, and we've provided adequate
tools for diffs and commenting, most people will start with the HTML.

I think the only possible way to deal with that mistake is to stop caring
about precisely where the pagebreaks are, short of "whatever the best
thing we can automate easily".  I know that's counter-intuitive for a lot
of folks, particularly those that have worked with the existing tooling
for a long time, so I'm willing to listen to other ways of thinking about
this.  Particularly, if anyone wants to chat in Honolulu, I'll make time.

--
Joe Hildebrand