Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sat Oct 25 07:32:53 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-25 16:25, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2014, at 12:15, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> In general, the more "unbreakable" things there are, the harder it is for the page breaking to do something useful without overrides. In this case, I'd probably reformat the examples into smaller chunks (v3 will allow multiple <artwork> elements in one <figure>).
>
> As an author, I’d rather put the page breaks where they make sense and be done with it.

Well, in a world where pagination depends on font, font size and paper
format, you can't put a page break somewhere. You *can* include hints,
though.

> While hinting is great for the first 80 %, there is no known way to infuse a formatter with *all* the considerations that are immediately obvious to a human observer.
>
> I think it is important to be able to put in such tweaks at the draft stage as well — this is the first time a specification gets many new readers, and it is worth it making their work easier.

I expect that once we're there, the majority of readers will actually
read the HTML (which is a far bigger improvement than optimized page
breaks in plain text).

Best regards, Julian