Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Oct 24 03:15:15 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-24 11:41, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2014, at 08:01, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> No hint needed.
>
> A useful example to ponder may be draft-ietf-6lo-ghc-05
>
> This would be much harder to read without the tweaks.
>
> Requiring the author to provide hints to a level of detail that makes this manual intervention unnecessary doesn’t sound very productive.  (Yes, I have been drinking the “declarative markup” Kool-Aid since 1982.  I just know it’s not always the best way.)

Thanks for the concrete example.

We're talking about the appendix, right?

You can instruct xml2rfc (v1) to keep text together with artwork by
moving it into <preamble>. (Yes, tested)

This however doesn't do what you want when the artwork alone would fit
onto a page, but including the preamble, won't. In this case, xml2rfcv1
will keep the preamble on the same page as the artwork, but break the
artwork.

Is it more important to keep the preamble with the artwork, or to avoid
breaking inside the artwork?

In general, the more "unbreakable" things there are, the harder it is
for the page breaking to do something useful without overrides. In this
case, I'd probably reformat the examples into smaller chunks (v3 will
allow multiple <artwork> elements in one <figure>).

Best regards, Julian