[rfc-i] xml2rfc v2 to v3 prototype converter available

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Thu Oct 23 14:42:20 PDT 2014

On 10/23/14, 4:50 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> Thanks!

you're welcome

> (I'm curious as to why you didn't use XSLT.  Some schema conversions
> can be very difficult using XSLT 2 and all but impossible with XSLT 1.
> But this change should have been simple enough with XSLT 2, i think.
> I admit I've not looked closely at this, and probably never will; I'm
> just curious.  Thanks.)

Take your pick:

*) I wanted as much of the original source to be preserved as possible,
including whitespace, newlines and XML comments.
*) I know that there are issues with at least some versions of XSLT
dealing with DOCTYPE
*) I wanted to be able to control the handling of <?xml ?>, DOCTYPE and
processing instructions
*) I wanted to be able to provide error feedback and some forms of recovery
*) I'm more familiar with Jim Clark's XML library and its derivatives
than I am xslt

:-)

     Tony Hansen