Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Oct 23 14:00:18 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-23 22:46, Nico Williams wrote:
> Let's not get into that debate (to paginate or not).  Instead let's
> agree that some people really want to paginate.  Doesn't matter why.
> Paper fetish?  OCD?  Aspergers?  whatever, it's not your place to deny
> them, though you might not implement this feature.  Let them (us) say
> "don't page break in this paragraph" or "if you must, break around
> here".

I'd prefer that what the formatter implements wrt page breaking in
paragraphs produces consistently good output. Do we *really* need
additional hints?

> Defining such elements, making them meaningless in non-paginated
> media, and OPTIONAL to implement in paginated media, should suffice.

But then, it would also be good to avoid new features that aren't really
needed.

Maybe we can have this discussion once we have prototypes that *do*
produce paginated output but fail to paginate in the "right" place? When
that happens, we can discuss whether that's a bug in the formatter, or
indeed a shortcoming of the vocabulary.

Best regards, Julian