Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Thu Oct 23 13:38:11 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2014-10-16 19:01, Sean Leonard wrote:
>> +1!!!

> Again: use case?

The use cases were given, but they aren't use cases for "vertical
blank space".  They are use cases for other things:

 - multi-paragraph list items (I forget if in v3 the schema supports
this properly)

   (lyx2rfc and kramdown-rfc2629 use vspace for this.)

 - weak control over where page breaks are placed

The former should be a first-class feature of the v3 schema.

The latter is only necessary for paginated formats, but it comes in
real handy for those.  I agree with Brian C. about this, we need some
elements for hinting about what text is too precious to split, and
what text isn't, then the paginator can probably do the Right Thing.

Nico