Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Fri Oct 17 13:39:44 PDT 2014

On 17 Oct 2014, at 19:52, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> Is there a way to determine whether this was due to the tool used to
> generate the XML or by the explicit author insertion?

[this = page break insertion]

I’m not even aware which tools are being used to generate the XML for RFCs (except for pandoc-rfc, which just carries through vspace elements [1] as specified by the author, and kramdown-rfc2629, which generates page break tweaks based on author input).  Generic XML tools would have no idea about the vspace element.

Grüße, Carsten

[1] RFC 7328: »
   o  The "<vspace>" tag is supported and carried over to the generated
      XML.
«

PS.: I’d sure like to know which weird tool generated the 7488 <vspace/> elements in rfc6716.xml...