Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Oct 17 06:14:44 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-17 14:27, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2014, at 11:53, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> The question is whether the specific use of vspace to create a form feed happens frequent enough to justify special support in HTML (where it would only apply to printing/paged media), given the fact that in the new RFC format world, pagination is much much less important than it used to.
>
> The answer is that we don’t know how life in that brave new world will be.
> All we know is that page-based media will continue to exist.

Yes, but the default format that people will use will not use page
breaks (unless when printed, and then they will vary based on font
settings, paper size, whatnot).

> (HTML already supports page-breaking via CSS, so maybe I don’t really understand this sentence in the first place.  The point here is that we need a way (element, attribute, pi) to insert the tweak into the source.)

Enforcing a page break usually depends on knowledge where the previous
page break happened. If that varies (and it will), there's no point in
trying to do this.

Suggesting a good place for a page break (or suggesting what to keep
together) can indeed be useful, but should be inherent in our
vocabulary. So again, I'd like to see a concrete use case where a well
implemented default behavior needs to be overridden.

Best regards, Julian