Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Oct 17 02:53:05 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-17 00:59, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2014, at 22:29, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> We could fix that. How often is it used?
>
> There are approximately 20 000 occurrences of <vspace in the ~ 1500 XML files I have for RFCs.
> The majority of these appear to be for line breaks (e.g., see Appendix A of RFC 4948); some (> 3000) are clearly for formatting tweaks in lists.
>
> I find approximately 200 usages that look like they are for page breaks.
> These are in approximately 84 XML files (~ 5 % of the total I looked at).
> (I may have missed some comment markers, so the actual number may be slightly lower.)
>
> Grüße, Carsten
>
> PS.: My favorite hit (the authors clearly were aware that this usage is evil):

I did similar stats in February, see
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/xml2rfc/current/msg04432.html>.

The question is whether the specific use of vspace to create a form feed
happens frequent enough to justify special support in HTML (where it
would only apply to printing/paged media), given the fact that in the
new RFC format world, pagination is much much less important than it
used to.

Best regards, Julian