Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Oct 16 15:59:29 PDT 2014

On 16 Oct 2014, at 22:29, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> We could fix that. How often is it used?

There are approximately 20 000 occurrences of <vspace in the ~ 1500 XML files I have for RFCs.
The majority of these appear to be for line breaks (e.g., see Appendix A of RFC 4948); some (> 3000) are clearly for formatting tweaks in lists.

I find approximately 200 usages that look like they are for page breaks.
These are in approximately 84 XML files (~ 5 % of the total I looked at).
(I may have missed some comment markers, so the actual number may be slightly lower.)

Grüße, Carsten

PS.: My favorite hit (the authors clearly were aware that this usage is evil):