Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Oct 16 14:47:01 PDT 2014

On 16 Oct 2014, at 19:32, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2014-10-16 18:43, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> In kramdown-rfc2629, I am generating vspace for the following cases:
>>
>> — forced page breaks (<vspace blankLines='999' />)
>>   This is clearly a hack, but the need for tweaks like this is there as long as people are looking at the pages-based versions.
>
> In the new RFC format, pagination plays a less important role. The intent is to have a vocabulary sufficiently expressive so that the tools can do the right thing.

As long as we use paper (or paper-like formats such as PDF), pagination will be important.

We have some 50 years of experience with automatic formatters that tells us that placement problems occasionally need tweaks.  So I hope some page-break like tweaking (and, preferably, also something close to troff’s .ne) will be possible in xml2rfcv3.

>> — to separate multiple paragraphs in a list item (since every new t element starts a new list item)
>
> We fixed the vocabulary for this use case.

I think you are referring to the substructure of <li>, which looks good.

>> — for definition lists, where for some applications the dd should be on its own line (please see:
>>   https://github.com/cabo/kramdown-rfc2629/issues/3 ), as in  <t hangText=‘definition label:'><vspace blankLines='0'/>
>
> I believe we have a special element/construct for this as well.

The »hanging« attribute looks great for this.

>> — for line breaks without increased leading, which are needed in particular for semi-structured material such as media type definitions (yes, one can sometimes fall back to code blocks here, but that doesn’t look that great in HTML then).
>
> I've been doing media type definitions with lists for years, and nobody has complained. You don't need to follow the templates exactly with respect to whitespace; it's the content that counts…

I’m sorry, as the editor of an RFC I have higher standards than that.
There is a reason some form of line-breaking is part of just about any vocabulary for publishing.
(<ul spacing=“compact” empty=“true”> is a hack, and I’m not sure whether empty labels still imply additional indentation or not.)

Grüße, Carsten