Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:52:03 PDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 1:40 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-10-16 22:30, Joe Touch wrote:
>>

>> On 10/16/2014 12:39 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> (I agree that in the new regime we can't have an explicit page
>>> break. I do wonder whether we don't need something explicit to
>>> help the widow/orphan logic in some cases.)
>>
>> There are many cases where it's useful to control such things:
>>
>>     - tables (either render it in a single screen/page or
>>     control where it breaks)
>
> So you want to add a hint about what is a good point to break a table?

Not so much where to break as where NOT to break:

	item		break before?	break after?

	header		yes		no
first 2 items		no		yes
middle items		yes		yes
last 2 items		no		after last item

However, it might be useful to control that, for the same reason as with
hierarchical lists. If you have a table with items that are grouped, you
might want the same "keep with previous" or "keep with next" identifier
that is currently useful for paragraphs and lists (though those don't
appear to be in V3, I use them all the time in modern word processors)

>>     - lists, especially hierarchical ones
>>         (it's preferable to break only before toplevel items)
>
> I think that rule could be automated, right?

It could, but it's useful to have user ability to override.

Joe