Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 12:39:54 PDT 2014

On 17/10/2014 07:44, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2014-10-16 20:11, Charlie Perkins wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I think it is crucial to be able to insert page breaks.  One
>> use case is to improve readability when passages of text
>> should be kept together.  Or lists...
>
> The formatter should be able to do that without additional hints.
>
>> It doesn't seem right to encourage putting in more
>> and more sections of "artwork" for this purpose.
>
> Did anybody suggest that?

No, but it's exactly what will happen if there is no equivalent
of <br>. (I can't think of anything that I might ever want to
do with <vspace/> that I couldn't do in html with a few <br>s,
so I'd be very glad to see the back of <vspace> as it exists
today.)

I don't think we need explicit use cases to know that sometimes
people will want to do some kind of visual layout without
leaving any decisions up to the rendering engine. Certainly,
whenever I've used <vspace/> that has been the underlying issue.

(I agree that in the new regime we can't have an explicit page
break. I do wonder whether we don't need something explicit to
help the widow/orphan logic in some cases.)

   Brian