Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:39:00 PDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 10:01 AM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> On 10/16/14 12:50 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>>

>> On 10/16/2014 9:43 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>>> In kramdown-rfc2629, I am generating vspace for the following cases:
>>>
>>> — forced page breaks (<vspace blankLines='999' />)
>>>    This is clearly a hack, but the need for tweaks like this is there
>>> as long as people are looking at the pages-based versions.
>>
>> Is there some reason not to use a "pagebreak" indicator?
>>
>> The above doesn't insert a pagebreak; it adds vertical space - whose
>> effect depends on how the page is rendered (it might cause a page break
>> or it might put blank space mid-page or across a page break).
>
> It might put 999 blank lines into your browser window.

That sounds like a browser bug. Rendering to a screen should cause
pagebreak to either do nothing or cause the pagebreak boundary to align
to the bottom of the display window until the next "down" scroll.

Using vspace would be encoding rendering-specific information in the
doc, and that seems the opposite of the whole point of this endeavor.

Joe